Sunday, October 18, 2015

The Real Deal Sloppy Joe


I've posted about sloppy joe's before, but neither of them are the ones I really make regularly.  The first time I was trying to be fancy, and the second time I was trying to be healthy.  But, on any given Sunday when I really make sloppy joe's, these are the real deal. And quite frankly I never posted about them because I never knew how much of anything I used. I just start squirting things into the pan until they taste like my sloppy joe's.  

Well this past week, I used measuring cups. So here ya go.

**side note: this is my husband's MOST requested dinner.  Chicken Parm is a close second.

Recipe
  • 2 lbs ground beef (80-90%..80=extra sloppy, 90=healthier)
  • 3/4 cup chopped onions
  • ~ 1/2 cup water plus drizzle of olive oil, if needed
  • 1 1/2 cups Ketchup
  • 1/4 cup Brown sugar
  • 1-2 tablespoons Worcestershire (I like 2)
  • 1-2 teaspoons Yellow Mustard (I like 2)
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
  • Squirt BBQ sauce (optional)
Start browning the meat (I typically use 90% so that we can eat the leftovers all week without feeling guilty, but 80% does create a sloppier joe. Another option is to get the 80%, and drain a little of the fat).  Add the onions and cook for several minutes until meat is browned and onions are cooked. Add water and oil if necessary (90% meat will need some added moisture).  Mix in the remaining ingredients and simmer for several minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Have fun eating these! I like mine with pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment