Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole


Now that my pregnancy nausea has sort of ceased (I'm convinced it will never totally go away), the best thing has been very distinct cravings. Like I never just want a salad, or a sandwich,  I want an oriental salad with sesame dressing and wonton strips or a turkey sandwich with pickle and honey mustard.  This casserole was a product of that. I wanted a creamy chicken casserole with wild rice and teeny tiny chopped vegetables. Done.

Recipe
  • 1 box Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice (small box - 6 oz I think)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded (I got a rotisserie chicken)
  • 2 cups chopped/small frozen vegetables (I used peas, carrots, and chopped broccoli)
  • 1/2 cup half and half
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1/2 stalk celery, diced
  • salt (at least 1/2 tsp, more to taste)
  • pepper

Cook the rice according to instructions.  In a separate pan, cook the onion and celery in 1 tablespoon butter for about 5-10 minutes until tender. In a bowl, combine the cooked rice, chicken, soup, half & half, onion mixture, and S&P.  Pour into a casserole dish, cover, and bake at 300 for 30 minutes (or until warm). You could serve this with a salad, but preferred a warm, buttery, crusty piece of bread.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gretchen! I enjoy reading your blog and was hoping to ask you a question about it over email. Could you please let me know where to reach you? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paulina! So glad you enjoy my blog. You can email me at gehartwig@gmail.com.

      Delete