Sunday, April 3, 2016

Healthy Weeknight Broccoli Mac N Cheese

My cravings for mac n' cheese lately are out of hand.  I really wanted it last week for dinner, but felt like I should eat something a tad more nutritious than the Kraft version (though I loooove the Kraft version).  So,  I made a few substitutions and wound up with a very tasty mac n' cheese that does offer some nutritional value. I kept it pretty cheesy because I needed it to be, but if you wanted to trim that down you could cut back on calories there. My husband loved this!

Recipe
  • 3 cups dry whole wheat elbow macaroni
  • 1 3/4 cup skim milk
  • 2 tablespoons corn starch
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • Dash dry mustard
  • Dash nutmeg
  • 2 cups shredded sharp or extra sharp cheddar
  • 2/3 cup low fat cottage cheese
  • 2 cups cooked broccoli

Cook pasta according to directions in generously salted water. Meanwhile, steam broccoli (you want 2 cups AFTER the broccoli is cooked).

In another pot, bring 1 1/2 cups of the milk to a simmer. Whisk the corn starch in the remaining milk, and stir into the simmering milk until thickened. Add salt and seasonings. Turn off heat, and add in the cheddar and cottage cheese.

Drain pasta and mix with sauce and broccoli.  Place in 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes.

1 comment: