Thursday, March 23, 2017

Almond Sugar Cookie Bars

Did you guys study Dia de los Muertos in high school? Day of the dead. Loved that celebration. It was like Halloween but spookier and the traditional celebration food included a delicious little skull cake that was loaded with almond extract. That little skull - and I can't for the life of me remember what it was called or what else was in it - but that little skull started my lifelong obsession with almond extract. Love, love LOVE almond extract. For a long time, before my baking exploration really took off, I would randomly taste almond extract in things and not be able to place what it was - but remember that it was in the skull cake and that I loved it. I can't remember what enlightening event occurred that tipped me off to the extract, but I am forever thankful. Love that stuff.

So these bars are a dream if you like that flavor. It's like a sugar cookie bar but almond-y. I made these on Saturday, and they were gone by Tuesday.  Someone needs to pop by my house every day to remind me that I'm going on a beach vacation next month.

Recipe
  • 2 sticks butter, room temp
  • 1.5 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1.5 tablespoons corn starch
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2.5 cups flour
  • 1/2 cups slivered almonds, for topping
Preheat oven to 350.  Cream the butter and sugar; add in the eggs, vanilla, & almond.  Mix in the powder, soda, corn starch, salt, and flour. Press dough into a greased 9x11 inch pan, sprinkles with almonds, and bake for 25-30 minutes. Center should be not quite set for maximum chewy deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment