Monday, March 27, 2017

Chicken Teriyaki with Zucchini Noodles

Just to get one thing straight, I am not a low carb person.  While I can appreciate what low-carbing can do to your body, my Norwegian-grew up on white bread-and rice self just could never pull it off. I love carbs and can't really feel full unless they're included in my meal. But, BUT. Zucchini noodles are fun. I love the flavor, I love the color, and I love that you can call them zoodles.

This was a wonderful and easy weeknight meal that got a double thumbs up from my toughest critic, my husband.  Tough critic might be harsh, but he definitely doesn't hand out recipe compliments when they're not due. And I appreciate that! (when he doesn't like something, his first bite is usually followed by something like "I wonder if you could [insert anything here]."  This weekend I tried out these new breakfast cookies with craisins, and he said "I wonder if you could use raisins instead."  I mean, yes, I could. They would turn out exactly the same but with raisins instead of craisins. 

Recipe
  • 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 cups carrots, chopped into 2-inch pieces
  • ~2.5 lb zucchini noodles (I buy them at the store, two containers)
  • 3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup Rice vinegar
  • 1-2 cloves chopped/minced garlic
  • 1/2 (heaping) teaspoon fresh grated ginger
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • Olive oil
  • Pepper
  • Green onions for garnish (optional)
Make the sauce by combining the soy sauce, water, honey, brown sugar, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger and corn starch.  Whisk to make sure everything is combined, then marinate the chicken in 1/2 cup of the sauce, about 1 hour.  Set aside the rest.  When you're ready to cook, start with the carrots. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat, and add in the carrots. Pour in some water (~1/2 cup), cover and steam for 8 minutes (or steam them in microwave or any other method). Transfer to a bowl. 

Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan.  Add in the chicken, season with pepper and cook until done, about 8 -10 minutes. Pour in the remaining sauce, and allow to thicken over medium heat. Mix in the carrots.

To cook the zoodles, heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a large pan.  Add in the zoodles, and cook for about 3 minutes. Drain excess water.  Assemble your plate with zoodles, teriyaki chicken, and green onion if you want. Zoodle zoodle zoodle.  

Zoodle.

No comments:

Post a Comment